past performances // year 2012
- 1/14 (Saturday) - wild Up concert "Ornithology". Location: The Armory Center for the Arts. Featuring Richard Valitutto as soloist in Olivier Messiaen's Oiseaux exotiques, as well as works by Ferneyhough, Haydn, Chris Kallmyer, Mark Menzies, Charlie Parker and Andrew Bird. I am also a featured composer of a creative arrangement of Andrew Bird's song "Fake Palindromes".
- Performances at Black Box, by Liz Glynn part of the Pacific Standard Time Festival 1/23 (Monday) – Richard solo: Galina Ustvolskaya's Piano Sonata No. 5 et al.
1/24 (Tuesday) – with touchy-feely: noises
1/26 (Thursday) – with The Joshua Trio: Michael Finnissy's Keroiylu et al.
1/27 (Friday) – with Gnarwhallaby: Henryk Górecki's Muzyczka IV et al.
- 2/7 (Tuesday) – Damjan Rakonjac's song cycle Reveur with soprano Roksana Zeinapur. Location: Atwater Crossing. Sponsored by Classical Revolution and M3 Classical
- 2/17 (Friday) at 8 p.m. – Aaron Kahn's CalArts BFA Mid-Residency Trumpet Recital. Karl Pilß Trumpet Sonata (1935).
- 2/24 (Friday) at 8 p.m. – The Joshua Trio at the wulf.
- 2/25 (Saturday) at 5 p.m. – Ryan Espinoza's CalArts BFA Mid-Residency Clarinet Recital. Duos with clarinet by Lutoslawski, Messager, and Daugherty.
- 2/25 (Saturday) at 9 p.m. – Saint-Saëns's Basoon Sonata with Archie Carey at the ETM-LA fundraiser benefit.
- 3/3 (Saturday) at 8 p.m. – The Joshua Trio at Pieter. Details here
- 3/9 (Friday) at 8 p.m. - Zara Teicher's CalArts MFA Graduation Horn Recital. Franz Schubert's Auf dem Strom with Harmony Jiroudek, mezzo-soprano.
- 3/10 (Saturday) at 6 p.m. - Elise Roy's CalArts MFA Graduation Flute Recital. Toshio Hosokawa's Lied as well as the premiere of Kurt Isaacson's triptych in the grotesque red (2012) for flute, cello, and piano.
- 3/11 (Sunday) at 2 p.m. - Claire Chenette's CalArts MFA Graduation Oboe Recital. Location: The Wild Beast. Bolcom's Aubade: For the Continuation of Life for oboe and piano and The Joshua Trio performs Finnissy's Keroiylu and Poulenc's Trio.
- 3/23 & 3/24 (Friday & Saturday) - wild Up concert "Craft: hipster music, a compendium". Location: Beyond Baroque. Works by Timo Andres, Art Jarvinen, Andrew Norman, Andrew McIntosh, Andrew Tholl, Missy Mazzoli, Odeya Nini, and Christopher Rountree.
- 4/1 (Sunday) – Satie's Vexations retuned on MicroFest.
- 4/13 (Thursday - Saturday) - Gnarwhallaby ensemble-in-residence concert at UC-Santa Cruz.
- 4/24 (Tuesday) – The Joshua Trio at CalArts. Details here
- 5/11 (Friday) at 8 p.m. – A new work of mine for speaking pianist at the wulf. Event details here.
- 5/12 (Saturday) at 8 p.m. – wild Up concert "Armory". Location: The Armory Center for the Arts.
- 5/15 (Tuesday) at 8 p.m.– Alessandra Barrett's CalArts BFA Graduation Viola Recital. Location: The Wild Beast at CalArts. Brahms's Sonata Op. 120 No. 1 and William Walton's Viola Concerto.
- 5/22 (Tuesday) at 8 p.m. – Gnarwhallaby concert on MicroFest. Come watch me perform on pump/reed organ, synthesizer, melodica, toy piano, and even chromelodeon! Details here
- 6/5 (Tuesday) 7:30 p.m. & 8:15 p.m. – John Cage's rarely performed prepared-piano piece Works of Calder in conjunction with the L & M Arts gallery's Alexander Calder exhibition. Location: 660 S Venice Blvd, Venice CA 90291
- 6/14 (Thursday) – Bitter Music CD Release Concert on MicroFest with PARTCH. Details here
- 6/23 (Saturday) – Culver-Palms Summer Music Festival 2012 performance with the What's Next? Ensemble. Location: 4464 Sepulveda Blvd. Culver City, CA 90230. Bohuslav Martinu's Piano Trio No. 1 and Michael Gordon's acdc.
- 7/1 - 7/22 – International Performing Arts Institute Collaborative Piano Fellowship. Location: Kiefersfelden, Germany
- 8/3 (Friday) – wild Up and gnarwhallaby perform excerpts from Ellen Reid's new opera Winter's Child at a fundraiser benefit performance in Toluca Lake. More information. gnarwhallaby will also play a set of compositions by Górecki, Feldman, Krauze, Deyoe, Barbier, and Navarro.
- 8/11 (Saturday) – wild Up concert in conjunction with ensemble residency at the American Composers Orchestra – Jazz Composers Orchestra Institute. Location: Schoenberg Hall, UCLA. Works by Derek Bermel, Brian Ferneyhough, Art Jarvinen, Tom Johnson, Anne LeBaron, George Lewis, Nicole Mitchell, Alvin Singleton, and Andrew Tholl.
- 9/1 (Saturday) 3 p.m. – wild Up has a Labor Day weekend "BACH-B-Q" featuring arrangements by the group members of the cycle of six virtuosic small ensemble works known as the Brandenburg Concertos. My arrangement of Number 4, BWV 1049 called "Razing Castles" will be featured. Location: HAMMER Museum, Westwood.
- 9/7-9/8 (Fri-Sat) 7 p.m. - 7 p.m. – Vexations (1893) by Erik Satie. As part of Jacaranda's Cage 100 Festival, I am one of 32 pianists executing the 24-hour continuous performance. My slot is from ca. 11:30 p.m.-12:15 a.m. Location: Miles Playhouse in Reed Park. More information.
- 9/15 (Saturday) 3 p.m. – Inner Child, Old Soul: a program of music for solo toy piano by John Cage, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Michael Finnissy, Jerome Kitzke, and new works by LA's own Matt Barbier and Daniel Corral. Location: HAMMER Museum, Westwood. Free admission.
- 10/7 (Sunday) 3 p.m. – Elegy for YSL for two pianos with Sarah Gibson on Brett Banducci's DMA Composition Recital at USC. Location: Newman Recital Hall.
- 10/13 (Saturday) 8 p.m. – wild Up AMERICA. Location: the Broad Stage, Santa Monica. Featuring my ensemble arrangement of Samuel Barber's early piano pieces Excursions.
- 10/27 (Saturday) 1 p.m. – wild Up does Classical Music. Location: The Hammer Museum. Copland's Appalachian Spring and Shostakovich's Chamber Symphony (String Quartet No. 8 arr.)
- 10/27 (Saturday) 5 p.m. – Kirsten Ashley voice recital. Location: The Wild Beast, CalArts. Webern Lieder, Op. 25 and Nicola LeFanu A Penny for a Song.
- 11/3 (Saturday) 3 p.m. – Solo recital. John Cage's Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared Piano. Location: The Hammer Museum.
- 11/30 (Friday) 8 p.m. – gnarwhallaby concert at UCSD. New compositions by graduate student composers.
- 12/4 (Tuesday) 8 p.m. – UCLA Graduate Composers Concert. David Utzinger's Piano Quintet.
- 12/6 (Thursday) 6 p.m. – Duo recital. Morton Feldman's For John Cage and other works with Mark Menzies, violin/viola. Location: The Hammer Museum.
- 12/8 (Saturday) 3 p.m. – wild Up Art. Music. Location: The Hammer Museum.
- 12/9 (Sunday) 1-6 p.m. – The Piano All-Stars Marathon on Winterfest. I'll be performing a 35-minute solo set on this all-afternoon concert. Location: Art Share L.A.
- 12/19 (Wednesday) 8 p.m. – Kate Olson Quartet + touchy-feely. Location: The Grand Star Jazz Club, 943 Sun Min Way [N. Broadway], Los Angeles, CA 90012
- 12/21 (Friday) 8:30 p.m. – The Edge of Forever. A new chamber operetta with music by Lewis Pesacov and story/libretto by Elizabeth Cline inspired by the ending of the ancient Mayan Long Count Calendar. I will play 8 oscillators functioning as a sine-tone organ!