past performances // year 2010
- 9/7/2010 - Back(Haus) to School music.film.dance.FIESTA. Location: 30607 San Martinez Road, Val Verde, CA. An exciting program of dance and music will include my composition for melodicas, Zazen,with video by Nick Flessa.
- 9/11 - 9/12/2010 - The Orchestra Unleashed. Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. Location: El Portal Theatre in North Hollywood. Program comprised of very recent works for orchestra combined with visual art and poetry.
- 10/1/2010 (Friday) from 10 p.m. ~ 2 a.m. - A Night of Contemplative Chamber Music. Location: The Wild Beast at CalArts. Mark Menzies, myself, and a few others will swirl sweet, soft sounds through the evening air. Please come and enjoy a very informal, relaxing concert - pillows and rugs will be provided and some dozing-off is optional. Works by John Cage, Morton Feldman, Valentin Silvestrov, Somei Satoh, Victoria Kelly, and others.
- 10/15 - 10/16/2010 (Fri-Sat) 11 p.m. - 9 a.m. Sleep Piece I. Location: The Mark S. Taper Courtyard at CalArts, between the music school balcony at the main entrance and the Wild Beast. Join CalArts musicians and artists for a dreamy night of soft experimental music. Bring pillows, blankets, sleeping bags, sweaters to stay cozy while you snooze.
- 11/7/2010 (Sunday) at 4 p.m. - Oresteia by Iannis Xenakis. Location: The Wild Beast at CalArts. Come hear Xenakis's epic opera based on the classic Greek triptych. I'll be singing in the chorus. Featuring Paul Berkolds as baritone soloist, the Santa Clarita Children's Chorus, and CalArts's New Millenium Ensemble and Contemporary Vocal Ensemble.
- 11/11/2010 (Thursday) at 8 p.m. - Emi Tamura's Performer-Composer MFA Mid-Residency Recital. Location: The Roy O. Disney Recital Hall at CalArts. Messiaen, Lachenmann, Shostakovich, Mobberly, and more. I'll be performing on two movements of Messiaen's Visions de l'Amen.
- 11/13/2010 (Saturday) at 5 p.m. - Richard Valitutto's CalArts MFA Mid-Residency Recital. Location: The Wild Beast at CalArts. Program of works from 1909 - 1990 by Alban Berg, Francis Poulenc, Valentin Silvestrov, and Carl Vine. Featuring collaborators Mark Menzies and Argenta Walther.
- 11/14/2010 (Sunday) at 8 p.m. - Paul Fraser's Composition Recital, Histrionic Music. Location: The Roy O. Disney Recital Hall at CalArts. I'm finishing up my crazy performance week doing a two piano improvisation with Paul on a program largely comprised of compositions for solo instruments and ensembles.
- 12/4/2010 (Saturday) at 9:30 a.m. - Performance as part of the Vlaxis Trio (including Archie Carey and Nathan Smith) at the International Society for Improvised Music (ISIM) conference. Location: Canterbury House at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI.
- 12/9/2010 (Thursday) at 9 p.m. - Jessica Ross's World Music MFA Mid-Residency Recital. All Javanese music and dance program in the Gamelan Room (A114) at CalArts. I'll be playing mostly bonang and slenthem on some beautiful pieces.
- 12/15/2010 (Wednesday) at 8 p.m. - "Tristan, Isolde" and "Nocturne" by Marc Sabat on the concert Music of Marc Sabat at the Wulf.